Wednesday, May 30, 2007

And if it gets popular again?

Some people I know seem puzzled by my opposition to Hilary Clinton. She seems to be a fairly moderate centrist person, just the sort of person I'd be likely to vote for. My answer is fairly simple. If the Iraq war becomes popular again, I think she'll be for it again, and I don't want to vote for a public opinion poll. She makes the first Clinton seem like a paragon of political courage. Now, I liked the first Clinton (policy-wise, not personally, well, at least after '94 I liked most of his policies) despite his political cowardice, but at least he had the guts to seek middle ground. All that Hilary has shown is the ability to stand exactly where conventional political wisdom says a politic an should be standing to be popular. I find it amazing that Democrats will not give Joe Lieberman their nomination anymore because he continues to agree with Bush yet are considering giving Hilary their nomination after she went around acting like his cheerleader for the Iraq war. But, of course, political wisdom at the time recommended support for the Iraq war and a fawning attitude toward President Bush. And, of course, Hilary Clinton needs to be the next president. Because, of course, she is the only person, not only in America today but in America for all time, who can break the gender barrier and become the FIRST WOMAN PRESIDENT.
I, for one, still believe that people with the sort of mind-boggling desire for power at the expense of principle that Hilary Clinton has should under no circumstances be given power. People like her should stay as litigators and stay out of government, even if giving them power would make an important statement.
(And, lest that be taken as some sort of senseless lawyer bashing, I'm a law student with a strong interest in litigation....)

No comments: