Thursday, June 7, 2007

Ride the Lightning

I'm not sure how many religious voters were planning to vote for Rudy before Tuesday's debate, but I doubt any still are. I happen not to think that God was drowning out Rudy's response to a Catholic bishop's criticism of his abortion stance, but if I were the sort of person that thought that there was divine intervention in American politics, I most definitely would. I'm glad that CNN saw the humor in the situation and has replayed the clip a lot, but you really miss out on the full effects unless you watch the full debate. The lightning caused a series of small chirps and sound difficulties that did not really disrupt the debate once Wold Blitzer explained that it was interference from the lightning and everyone could stop wondering "what are those little chirps." Then came Rudy on abortion. Then the lightning got serious. Basically his entire answer was drowned out by a series of squawks made by the lightning. When he finished, the lightning went back to making the small chirps of interference. This sequence was so much funnier if one actually watched the debate than if one just saw clips. I highly recommend going for the whole thing. Especially if you are a religious Rudy backer.

No comments: